With rapid increases in technology, our homes are becoming smarter, more digital. Even if you don’t have any smart appliances currently in your home, the chances are you know someone who does, or you’ve used Bluetooth, encountered Alexa or have a smartphone.
With the world around us becoming programmed to respond to the sound of your voice or the touch of a button, it makes sense to make home improvements that keep up with technical advancements. There are significant advantages having a smart garage door can bring to your home, and it’s worthwhile considering some of them when deciding whether to make this key improvement and invest in new technology to make your home smarter, more efficient and generally safer and more secure.
- Security – Your first thought when you consider your garage might not be security, but it’s an often-overlooked entry-point to your home, and often there are unsecured doorways between the garage and the rest of the house. A smart garage door opener can increase the security of your garage door, whether it’s cameras streamed to your phone, or push notifications if the door is opened unexpectedly, your smart garage door opener can help set your mind at ease security-wise. You’ll also enjoy peace of mind, knowing that you’ve never left the garage door open accidentally – from wherever you are.
- Weather – Rather than getting stuck outside in the rain, sleet or snow whilst you’re fumbling around for the garage keys, you can have a door opener that’s with you wherever you go so you can always open your garage door with ease. Some of the listed garage door openers have IFTT technology, meaning you don’t even have to use your phone or other device to operate the garage door – it will simply open as you drive up.
- Scheduled opening and closing – The majority of smart garage door openers can be scheduled to open and close at specific times, so you can have the door open during the school run in the morning, or at the weekends if you have kids trekking in and out with bikes and scooters. Whatever you want it to do, you can arrange your garage door to accommodate your individual needs as a family.
Below, we’ve reviewed the top seven smart garage door openers currently available on the market, so you can choose the one best suited to you and your lifestyle. They have a variety of installation methods, but the majority of them are quick and easy to install and take just a few minutes to set up.
Read on for all the information you need to make a decision!
The Top 7 Smart Garage Door Openers
Here's Garage Door Nation's list of the top 7 smart garage door openers:
GarageMate: Bluetooth 4.0
If you’re looking for a garage door opener that’s easy to set up and highly compatible because of its Bluetooth, then the GarageMate: Bluetooth 4.0 might well be the one for you. It’s quick to install and will work in extreme temperatures of -40 degrees F to 140 degrees F. This is incredibly low cost to run, using just 3 cents of electricity every year. Read on for some key features:
- Uses Bluetooth 4.0 to work.
- App is free.
- Does not require batteries.
- Not Wi-Fi/internet connected.
- Can connect up to eight phones.
- Installation is very quick and easy.
- The GarageMate doesn’t work from the Wi-Fi or use internet, which means security isn’t compromised if you have an internet outage.
- Can use Siri or OK Google to activate the app with your voice for convenience.
- You can’t check if the door is open or closed as this device uses Bluetooth rather than the internet. Many users have installed a low-cost security camera for their garage door as well to further improve security.
- Some Liftmaster/Chamberlains/Craftsman made after 2011 are not compatible with this device, so it’s worth checking to see if your garage door is compatible.
myQ Smart Garage Door Opener
The myQ Smart Garage Door Opener is a wireless and Wi-Fi-enabled device, meaning that you can control your garage door from anywhere, whether in your home or not, as long as you have access to the internet or Wi-Fi. The set-up is very simple, and this garage door opener is compatible with the majority of garage doors. If you are looking for a light, universal and easy-to-use garage door opener, then check out the myQ. Some of the features include:
- Works with all major brands of openers made after 1993.
- You will need: a router with 2.4 gigahertz Wi-Fi frequency, router with 802.11 B/G/N, a router within 50 feet of the myQ Smart Garage Hub.
- You can securely invite up to three guests to control the garage door opener with the myQ Guest Feature in the app.
- Opening, closing and receiving garage door status alerts are all included at no extra cost with the myQ app.
- Takes just moments to set up, with easy step-by-step instructions.
- Compatible with a wide-range of garage door openers, including Liftmaster, Raynor, Linear and Stanley – most made after 1993 are suitable.
- This product requires a lithium battery (included) to use.
- The guide is specific about how the product needs to be set up and should be followed accurately to ensure this garage door opener works to its full capacity.
Meross Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener
If you’re looking for the latest in voice controlled smart technology, then the Meross Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener is ideal! It’s compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant and IFTTT. That means that, as you get closer to home, your garage door will open as if by magic without you needing to say a word! You can also use the voice controls to activate the garage door and let family or friends pull in if you’re cooking, cleaning or otherwise have your hands occupied. Key features are:
- Multiple notification modes, including garage open/closed notifications, overtime and overnight.
- Check the garage door open/closed records through the app.
- High-sensitivity motion sensor, which tracks the status of the garage door.
- Self-adhesive installation.
- Manage multiple garage doors from within the same app, simply by numbering them differently.
- Gives you peace of mind because of its clear and up-to-date interface.
- Doesn’t need batteries to function.
- You will need a good Wi-Fi connection near your garage door which might mean adjusting the position of your router within your home.
Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener
Open your garage door from anywhere with the Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener. This garage door opener works from your smartphone or other handheld device with a handy app. You can remotely open your garage door to let in deliveries, guests and friends and families. You will also receive notifications if the door is left open – ideal for giving you peace of mind that your home is properly protected. This door opener has features such as:
- Works with Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Notifies you remotely if garage door is left open.
- Allows you to authorize other users to open and close the garage door.
- Works on 2.4 gigahertz.
- Good value for money.
- Easy to use.
- Takes minutes to install and is very straightforward.
- You know if your system is still working when out of the house, so you can be sure that your home is safe and protected while you’re out and about.
- Check the manufacturer’s website for a list of compatible garage door openers – it may not work with some of the latest models although there are new versions and updates all the time so, if this is the one you want, it’s worth keeping an eye on the website to see if there’s an update in the near future to make it compatible and work for you.
NEXX Garage NXG-100b
The NEXX Garage NXG-100b is a no-hub-required garage door opener that you can make compatible with your voice-controlled devices and sync to Alexa to open and close your garage door with just your voice. You can activate the garage door in a number of different ways, including through the NEXX app, with Alexa, and by driving close to the door and via automate with SmartThings. Some of its other features are:
- Allows you to authorize multiple people to activate the garage door.
- You can also open the garage door remotely and will receive notifications if it has been left open and you are out of the house.
- Real-time activity logging, for extra security and peace of mind.
- With one controller per garage door opener, it’s easy to note how it’s being used and see what’s going on with your garage door.
- Does not need batteries to operate.
- Includes all the components required for easy installation – controller, wired sensor, brackets, stickers, screws, wire, and manual.
- No hidden fees and no additional charges or subscriptions for extra features.
- It is available for a wide variety of door openers, but it’s worth checking the manufacturer’s website before you purchase to make sure that it’s compatible.
- Multiple garage doors can be controlled through a single app, but you will require a different door opener device for each door.
Genie ALKT1-R Aladdin Connect Wi-Fi Enabled Smart Garage Door Opener
If you are looking for good quality and excellent value for money, you could certainly do much worse than the Genie ALKT1-R Aladdin Connect Wi-Fi Enabled Smart Garage Door Opener. It’s another Wi-Fi enabled device, meaning that you will be able to control your garage door from anywhere, and check its status. It is definitely a great choice if you are looking for a good-value garage door opener that won’t break the bank and still has many of the features of the pricier models. Features include:
- Aladdin Connect garage door controller allows you to monitor, open and close your garage door with your smartphone or smart device from anywhere.
- Increases your security – the sensor attached to the garage door can monitor the position of the garage door (whether vertical or horizontal) and will alert you if it’s open or closed.
- Control up to three garage doors.
- Schedule times to have the door open and closed (e.g. when you’re leaving for work or coming home at night). You can also set the device to automatically close the door after a set period of time, for example, fifteen minutes.
- Wi-Fi enabled, allowing you to monitor and activate your garage door from anywhere using your iPhone or Android device.
- Comes with a year’s warranty.
- One of the most efficient and durable garage door openers at its price available on the market.
- This product requires a lithium metal battery which is not included.
AGSHOME Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener
The AGSHOME Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener is a great garage door opener for the technically minded. It operates with a wide range of methods and can be used with Alexa, Google Home, SmartLife and Tuya Smart App. Whatever voice control or remote means you are using, this garage door opener will almost certainly be compatible. It has a lot of different features, including:
- Voice control, so you can operate the garage door through Alexa or Google Assistant and let in friends, family or couriers without opening the door manually.
- No hub required as operates with smartphone control.
- Different notification modes, including overtime and overnight modes, meaning that you will be alerted in your garage door is in a position out of the ordinary.
- Very straightforward setup, which means you can be up and running in minutes with the clear and easy-to-follow setup instructions.
- No batteries are required.
- Also works with iOS, Siri and IFTT.
- Some users were concerned when the instructions arrived they weren’t very comprehensive – this is because the installation guide is actually to be found on the app, so this should be downloaded prior to installation.
- Needs to be mounted on the door with a bit of clearance to either side, to avoid it being scraped off.
Smart Garage Door FAQ
|What Is A Smart Garage Door Opener?
|A smart garage door opener allows you to monitor, open & close your garage door using a smart device, such as your mobile phone.
|What Are The Benefits Of Smart Garage Door Openers?
|Smart garage door openers can provide convenience, an extra layer of security, and peace of mind.
|Will A Smart Garage Door Opener Work With My Door?
|Yes! Universal smart garage door openers are available!
|How Much Are Smart Garage Door Openers?
|You can purchase a smart garage door opener for less than $30.00!
The Sum Up!
We’ve provided you with a range of top-quality smart garage door openers to suit all tastes and budgets. Whether you’re interested in a top-of-the-line device which will open your garage door as you drive up towards it, or you want to be able to remotely operate the door whilst you’re cooking in your kitchen, however you want to setup your garage door opener, you’ll find a device for you!