Are you making the most out of your garage space? It’s possible that when you store your car inside the amount of room you have for storage is limited at best. That’s certainly true if your garage is filled with clutter and junk. It could make it difficult to walk around your garage and even lead to a safety hazard. You might even end up needing to leave your car outside, vulnerable to the elements and a potential theft.
The solution? You should consider the best overhead ceiling racks for garage storage. As the name suggests, these racks use your ceiling space effectively and help you clean up some of that clutter. Many of the racks can support a large amount of weight. As such, you will have a high level of versatility when deciding what you want to store. Here are some of the best choices on the market we recommend you consider.
The 7 Best Overhead Ceiling Racks for Garage Storage
Without further ado, here's Garage Door Nation's best overhead garage storage racks:
1. Overhead Garage Storage Rack By E-Z Storage
The Overhead Garage Storage Rack by E-Z Storage provides an innovative solution completely unique compared to other options on this list. It's the best way to store totes and bins on the garage ceiling.
You will be able to install the rails yourself which can then be used to slide in overhead tote bins. While the tote bins are sold separately, the system is designed to support a massive range of different style tote bins available on the market. A key benefit of this system is that you don’t need to worry about struggling to access items once they are stored. You can simply slide the totes in and out based on your needs. The installation is also quite quick and may take most people less than an hour.
- DIY installation
- Lifetime warranty
- Adjustable racks to support different tote bins
- Easy to install
- Simple to add and remove totes, making it easy to access and store any items or products
- Full lifetime warranty provides peace of mind if the product ever fails you
- Designed to be versatile, offering space for a range of different items
- Built for a high level of durability when used with the right tote bins
- Dependent on the strength and design of the tote bins that you are using for storage
- Low weight capacity unless you purchase multiple tote bins
2. Fleximounts 4x8 Overhead Garage Storage Rack
When you select a ceiling rack for your garage, it’s important that you consider safety. The Fleximounts overhead garage storage rack solution will provide you with the peace of mind due to the six vertical posts that provide a solid structure. This may be more sturdy compared with a separate from and wire design. You also don’t need to worry about needing a pro to install this for you. It can be completed with a simple DIY installation. In total, you will need to spend about three hours putting this together, but the instructions are straightforward. It will also support approximately 500 lbs of weight, ensuring it will be suitable for storing a wide range of items.
- Safe - Designed to ensure that there is no chance of it falling or coming loose
- Integrated grid design - different from similar racks
- Made in Vietnam
- Installed through DIY
- Easy to follow instructions are clear and well laid out with full pictures
- Able to hold a substantial level of weight
- Clever design ensures that the structure is solid and you don’t need to worry about it coming loose
- Durable and design to last as long as your property itself
- Some people do struggle with completing the setup and pay professionals adding to the cost
- Flaws in manufacturing have left small yet sharp areas that could cause cuts during installation.
- Racks must be installed carefully to gain the full benefits
3. NewAge Products 40151 4-Feet By 8-Feet Ceiling Mount
Something to be aware of about the NewAge Products 40151 Ceiling Mount is that it can hold a higher level of weight than the previous option. You can easily support 600 lbs with this rack, so it’s perfect for larger items. It is made to provide a heavy-duty solution and remain durable. A key benefit is that you can adjust it so it either has a width of six or eight feet depending on your requirements. You can also buy several of these and connect them together to create more space as long as they do not put too much weight on one joint. You do however need to be aware that this particular rack is designed to be mounted to wooden ceiling joists rather than metal ones. It does have a fairly easy installation. The only issue you may encounter is ensuring that you connect it at the right points.
- Will hold up to 600 lbs
- Rust and scratch-resistant
- Suitable for storing a wide range of items
- Designed for wood joists
- Adjust to 6ft or 8ft
- Typically easy to install in just a couple hours
- Easy to follow instructions
- Supports a high level of weight and will be suitable for storing various larger items
- Adjustable to meet your requirements
- Designed to be durable and should last for years
- Ease of installation will differ depending on your garage set up
- May not work with metal hoists
4. SafeRacks 4x8-2 Rack Package w/Accessory Hooks
A key unique selling point about the SafeRacks 4x8-2 Rack Package w/Accessory Hooks is that it does come with accessory hooks. As well as storing items in the racks above, you can dangle them from below too. This is perfect for anything from garden tools to bikes and buggies. Similar to the previous option on this list, the rack is able to support 600 lbs and is designed with strength in mind. As such, you shouldn’t need to worry about your items falling once this has been effectively installed.
While these racks are designed to be mounted to the wall as well as the ceiling, you can add them to ceiling joists, providing a fully flexible solution. You just need to make sure that it is properly installed and fixed to the area The only issue some people may have is installing the rack. It is a little more difficult compared to some of the other possibilities.
- Provides a lifetime warranty when purchased with SafeRacks, ensuring peace of mind
- Full support center available to help with the installation
- A powder coat finish protects the product against damage over time
- Fast to ship
- Designed to remain durable even with heavy amounts of weight
- Provides extra storage with hooks for hanging items
- DIY installation can be completed in a few hours
- The high-quality design ensures that racks won’t come apart
- Some reviewers have suggested that item needs to be hung directly under the studs
- It may be difficult to install for some people
5. Racor - PHL-R, Garage Ceiling Storage Rack Lift
In many ways, the Racor - PHL-R, Garage Ceiling Storage Rack Lift is completely different from an innovative design. Adjustable, retractable and still designed to be strong, this is a clever piece of kit.
The lift can be lowered to add products or remove items and raised back up out of sight with a crank system. Of course, it’s not quite as strong as the other options on this list. It will only support 250 lbs. However, this could still be more than enough room for most people with garages. It’s flexible too because you can lock the system at basically any height and then lower it down from the same point.
This hoist is well designed. It is also suitable for use in a range of different garages including ones that have curved ceilings. You just need to be careful that you do not overload the product. To maintain levels of safety it’s worth keeping the weight significantly under the recommended 250 lbs. This will avoid you needing to worry about the wires snapping.
- The rack can be raised and lowered with a fully adjustable solution
- All accessories are included with the original product
- Can lift items as high as eight feet
- 4 x 4 ft
- Easy to add and remove items whenever you need to
- Simple to install with clear instructions to follow
- Innovative design ensures you can save space and ensure key items are simple to access
- Product designed for stability so you don’t need to worry about items falling
- The crank system has plastic pieces that could fail over time
- Less space and lower weight capacity than other racks that are more cost-friendly
6. Hyloft --540 45-Inch by 45-Inch Overhead Storage System
Of course, if you’re looking for a more conventional rack that is smaller in size, the HyLoft 00540 45-Inch by 45-Inch Overhead Storage System could be ideal for you. The rack is designed to support roughly 250 lbs so it matches the lift option we’ve just discussed. It also provides a total of 30 square ft of storage. As such, this is ideally suited for storing typical household items that you don’t need most of the year like festive decorations or even luggage.
You can also connect different pieces together to ensure that you have more space for storage with this possibility. The rack also provides all the equipment and materials that you need for the installation. It will also work with both metal and wooden joists. As such, there is no need to worry about this not fitting your garage. The hardest part for this rack is going to be finding your studs for the installation. For that, you may need a stud finder.
- 30 Feet of space and supports 250 pounds
- Height adjustable
- Steel construction
- Designed to be scratch resistant thanks to a powder coating
- Adjustable to match a variety of different styles of the hoist
- Easy to assemble in a short period
- Built to last and stand the test of time
- Some reviewer noticed that the quality of the construction can differ
- May not work in a newer home where there are usually fewer studs available
7. MonsterRax 4x8 Overhead Rack - 500 LB Capacity Adjustable Ceiling Mounted Rack
The Monstrax 4x8 Overhead Rack doubles the weight capacity of the previous two options on this list. It has a standard rack design with a mesh wire bottom to support your storage needs. The system spans two ceiling joists to guarantee the max level of strength and ensure that there are no issues with keeping the items in place. You also have a wide range of different drop-lengths so you can adjust the item to match your individual needs or garage build.
The product is built of high-quality materials and this means that you won’t need to worry about it failing you over time. As well as this, it also offers a strong frame. That means that you can go right up to the max weight level, providing you with a great level of efficiency in terms of how much you can store. Similar to another option on this list, the most difficult part of the installation is going to be selecting the right place to install the rack itself.
- Adjustable eight options of between 12’’ - 21’’ and 24’’ - 45’’
- “Waterfall design” for wire decking
- 500 lb weight capacity
- Expert installation available
- Easy to install as long as you can find the right place to put it up
- Heavy-duty and designed to last for years
- Provides a lot of weight support compared to the size
- The safe design ensures that products won’t fall
- Some reviewers report not getting all the items they need to be delivered to complete the installation
- Long shipping time - may take a couple weeks to arrive
Overhead Ceiling Racks For Garage Storage FAQ
|What Are Overhead Ceiling Racks For Garage Storage?||Overhead ceiling racks allow you to store items that would otherwise clutter your garage.|
|What Are The Benefits Of Overhead Garage Storage Racks?||Overhead storage racks are a great place to store seasonal items, such as winter clothing or holiday decorations. They are also great for items you need quick access to, such as tools or sports equipment.|
|How Many Pounds Can Overhead Ceiling Racks Hold?||Smaller storage racks can hold up to 250 lbs., while larger racks can hold 600 lbs or more!|
|How Much Do Overhead Garage Storage Racks Cost?||Smaller overhead ceiling racks can cost under $100. Other larger models cost $250.00 and up.|
Hopefully, this guide has provided you the information you needed when searching for the best overhead ceiling racks for garage storage. As you can see, while most provide a standard design, there are stand out options on the market with both lift systems and those used for storing tote bins. You should also be able to find a product, regardless of the design of your garage.
A crucial point is to ensure that you are installing the racks in the right location. If you are unsure of this, it’s always worth choosing a professional service to install the system for you. Most racks are designed to stay firmly in place but may fail if they are not secured the right way.